Many parents often wonder if children need orthodontic care. Are braces meant mainly for young adults and adults? In reality, seeking care at a young age can have a number of benefits. At Lake Country Orthodontics, we can help your little one enjoy an even, beautiful smile with children’s orthodontics.
Do you have a popping jaw? If your jaw exhibits a popping or crackling sensation, then you may have TMJ disorder, also known as TMD. This common dental health issue affects over ten million people in the United States. Fortunately, comfortable and minimally invasive treatment options exist to restore your jaw to optimal comfort and health.
Many holiday traditions involve feasting on heaps of delicious foods and eye-catching confectioneries while spending time with family and friends. However, if you have braces you may find it difficult to enjoy the wide variety of delicacies in fear that you may compromise your treatment. Eating healthy with orthodontics is fairly easy, as long as you know what foods to avoid, and which ones can be beneficial. Eating a well balanced diet is important throughout the course of your entire orthodontic treatment, as well as practicing good oral hygiene to avoid complications. (more…)
Having braces can be a little annoying, and you probably want to complete the treatment as soon as possible. Did you know that practicing excellent oral hygiene while you have braces can actually reduce the amount of time it takes to complete the treatment? By keeping your braces clean, you will maintain a healthy environment that is required by your teeth while they move into their new positions. There are several techniques you can use to keep your smile sparkling, and avoid embarrassing, “food-stuck-in-your-braces” moments. (more…)
Braces are a fantastic technique for straightening misaligned teeth, but without diligent care on your part, you could be at risk for gum disease during your treatment. Adding wires and brackets to your mouth increases places for bacteria to cling. If left unchecked, these bacteria can accumulate under your gum line, creating plaque, and causing inflammation of your gum tissue. Orthodontic treatment requires healthy gum and bone tissue to accommodate the movement of your teeth, so it is imperative to maintain proper oral hygiene. (more…)
Many school-age children, as well as adults, are diagnosed with some form of malocclusion, though not everyone always seeks treatment to correct it. There are many types of malocclusion, or misaligned bite, which can range from benign to possibly being a serious concern. Knowing the difference in type can assist in determining whether treatment is necessary or not. Some cases of malocclusion, if left untreated, can cause permanent damage to your oral health, while many corrections are performed for purely cosmetic reasons. (more…)
You may be considering orthodontic treatment to improve the alignment of your smile so you feel confident about your appearance. But have you ever considered how improving your smile may actually affect your health? Look over the following quiz to discover just how much you know about the benefits of orthodontics.
- Choosing systems like Invisalign to improve the alignment of your smile may help you avoid problems like TMJ disorder
- Improving your misalignment with orthodontic treatment will make your smile look better but you will still have to work just as hard to keep your teeth clean
- Spaces between teeth are merely cosmetic and pose no threat to your oral health
- Treating problems in a child’s mouth with orthodontic treatment before teeth develop an actually help prevent future malocclusions, or improperly aligned teeth and jaws
- You may be able to preserve the structural integrity of your teeth by improving their alignment, so they fit together correctly
- True. When your teeth and jaws fail to line up appropriately, your top and bottom teeth may absorb too much pressure in certain areas. This can also result in jaw strain, which often leads to TMJ disorder (TMD). Align your teeth, so your jaws joints can rest comfortably.
- False. Problems like spacing and overlapping can make removing all debris from your smile difficult. You may have trouble effectively cleaning every surface of your teeth. Align your teeth for easier daily hygiene.
- False. Spaces between teeth can make articulate speaking difficult. They can also trap debris, making it difficult to eat certain foods, and to thoroughly remove food and bacteria from your mouth during brushing and flossing.
- True. By guiding teeth into place quite early, you may be able to avoid serious problems down the road. This allows a child to develop appropriate speech patterns and chewing habits.
- True. When your teeth fit together poorly, they often come into contact more often than they should and with too much force. The result may include erosion, heightened sensitivity, fractures, and breakage.
About Your Fort Worth Orthodontist
Lake Country Orthodontics provides superb, customized orthodontic care in a calming office. He treats patients of all ages, from young children to adults. Dr. Cabal’s services include Invisalign, tooth-colored braces, and interceptive orthodontics for children. Dr. Ciro Cabal proudly treats patients from Lake Worth, Lake Country, Lakeland, Highlands, Saginaw, and the surrounding communities. To schedule an appointment at our Ft. Worth orthodontist office, call Dr. Cabal’s office at (817) 236-7846.
Tooth decay and gum disease are often linked to your overall health in what is known as the oral-systemic condition. Fort Worth dentist Dr. Ciro Cabal, always encourages patients to eat a healthy diet and exercise in addition to taking care of your oral health. If germs really are able to enter our bodies through our mouths, don’t you want to be in good shape to fight the bacteria off? Of course, people are busy, life is hectic, and sometimes it’s just plain difficult to fit it all in. That’s where the Scientific 7 minute Workout comes in.
Finding the a Program you can Stick With
The science of exercise still has a long way to go. While there are people that seem to be born with their own personal keys to fitness success, others spend a lifetime struggling to stay in shape. If you’ve ever known someone who is overweight but strong willed, you have seen firsthand what science has only begun to unravel – (more…)
November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. The most common cause of lung cancer is smoking or long-term exposure to secondhand smoke. Smoking also harms dental health in addition to the outcomes of orthodontic treatments. In today’s blog your Fort Worth orthodontist Dr. Cabal discusses the damaging consequences of smoking on one’s dental health while wearing braces. (more…)
Have you ever experienced unexplained jaw pain or a jaw that pops or clicks? If so, these may be warning signs of TMJ disorder, or TMD. This serious dental health issue affects millions in the United States. At Lake Country Orthodontics, we can diagnose and offer treatment for patients suffering from jaw strain.