Braces and other smile correction options help our Fort Worth, TX, patients enjoy healthier smiles. However, occasionally those with braces may encounter orthodontic emergencies. Let’s take a look at common emergency situations and discuss a few ways to address them prior to seeing us for repair.
Common Orthodontic Emergencies
- Loose/Lost Brackets or Bands: The brackets and bands attach to the teeth and keep your orthodontics in place. Should a bracket become loose but remain attached to the wire itself, then use wax to coat it and prevent discomfort until you can see us. If the bracket is completely loose and unattached, place it in a tissue or small container and bring it with you when you visit our office. We will the reattach it.
- Loose Wires: Occasionally, a wire in your braces could become loose. First, try to adjust the loose portion so it doesn’t cause discomfort. Using a pencil eraser to gently push the wire down, or possibly tweezers to bend it or move it. You may also consider placing a bit of wax over it to prevent injury.
- Poor-Fitting or Damaged Appliances: If you’re wearing an appliance, such as retainer or Invisalign® aligners, and they become loose or don’t fit properly, you can use wax to coat the areas of the appliance causing pain. Then see us as soon as possible so we can adjust the appliance or create a new one.
- Soreness: When you first receive braces, there may be a little discomfort. This is normal and passes with time as your mouth adjusts to the presence of braces. To alleviate discomfort, consider rinsing your mouth with warm salt water. If you encounter irritation in your gums or cheeks, coat the offending areas of the braces with wax. Finally, a pain reliever could help reduce your discomfort as you get used to your new orthodontics or appliances.
- Headgear Issues: We sometimes have patients complain about their headgear, but these issues are often a result of improper use. Dr. Cabal will provide detailed instructions for use, be sure to wear them as prescribed and remember that the more they’re worn, the more comfortable they become.
If we didn’t address the cause of your pain, be sure to let us know. Give our team a call and we’ll work with you to uncover the cause and find a solution.
Do You Need Orthodontic Solutions?
We want to help you enjoy a straighter and healthier smile with orthodontics. To schedule your consultation and discuss the Invisalign® system, please call Lake Country Orthodontics in Fort Worth, TX at (817) 236-7846. Our office proudly serves patients who live in Ft. Worth, White Settlement, North Ft. Worth, Springtown, and all surrounding communities.