Does your jaw pop or crack? Do you frequently experience painful headaches? If so, you may be suffering from a widespread medical condition known as TMJ disorder, or TMD. At Lake Country Orthodontics, we can identify the cause of your TMJ and provide orthodontic treatment. In today’s blog, your Ft. Worth orthodontist, Dr. Ciro Cabal, explains the factors that lead to TMJ disorder and discusses treatment.
Ft. Worth TMJ Disorder Quiz
1. True or False: Jaw joint stress can lead to TMJ disorder.
2. True or False: Trauma, bruxism, and malocclusion are all causes of TMJ strain.
3. True or False: Patients may experience multiple symptoms of TMJ disorder.
4. True or False: Your Ft. Worth orthodontist can treat and ease TMJ-related symptoms.
1. True. The temporomandibular joints connect the jaw to the skull. When the jaw joints become strained, TMJ disorder can develop. Over time, TMD can make eating, speaking, and opening your mouth uncomfortable.
2. True. All of these issues place inordinate amounts of strain on the jaw joints. Bruxism, or teeth grinding, can eventually damage teeth, causing cracks and chips.
3. True. Common symptoms of TMJ disorder include: Headaches, jaw pain, earaches, a popping or crackling sensation in the jaw, tinnitus, facial pain, neck discomfort, and shoulder aches. Patients with grind their teeth may also experience toothaches and tooth sensitivity.
4. True. For minor cases, muscle exercises and compresses may be enough to ease jaw strain. Otherwise, Dr. Cabal may recommend orthodontic treatment. With orthodontics, Dr. Cabal can reposition your teeth and jaws, improving alignment, reducing TMJ-related discomfort, and transforming the appearance of your smile.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Ft. Worth Orthodontist
TMJ disorder may eventually make opening your mouth difficult, leading to a number of uncomfortable symptoms. To learn more about diagnosing and treating TMJ disorder, talk to your Ft. Worth orthodontist today. Dr. Cabal offers the latest in minimally invasive treatment for TMD. Call Lake Country Orthodontics today at (817) 236-7846 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Ciro Cabal. Located in the 76179 area, we proudly welcomes families from Azle, Saginaw, Springtown, Weatherford, Haslet, Ft. Worth, and all surrounding communities.