Do you find yourself experiencing frequent headaches or jaw pain? These are both common symptoms of a widespread medical disorder known as TMJ. Patients with TMJ may have difficulty opening their mouths or may even experience discomfort when yawning. In fact, over ten million Americans currently suffer from TMJ disorder. In today’s blog, your Ft. Worth dentist, Dr. Ciro Cabal, uses a fun and informative quiz to discuss treatment options for TMJ.
TMJ Disorder Quiz
1. True or False: What causes TMJ pain?
2. True or False: What are the symptoms of TMJ dysfunction?
3. True or False: How can I ease TMJ-related discomfort?
4. True or False: What treatment does Dr. Cabal offer for TMJ disorder?
1. True. TMJ disorder occurs when excessive strain is placed on the jaw joints. Both malocclusion, or bite misalignment, and bruxism, or teeth grinding, place inordinate stress on the joints.
2. True. Patients with TMJ report a litany of similar symptoms, including: Headaches, jaw pain, facial and neck pain, earaches, toothaches, and a popping or clicking sensation in the jaw.
3. True. In many cases, your Ft. Worth orthodontist may recommend simple muscle exercises or the use of compresses to address jaw pain and other TMJ symptoms. Patients should avoid chewing gum and hard foods as the repetitive motions only exacerbate the issue.
4. True. Dr. Cabal may recommend an intraoral device similar to a night guard. This oral appliance repositions the jaw to reduce misalignment and prevents the upper and lower teeth form touching, easing bruxism. For a diagnosis and to discuss treatment options, talk to Dr. Cabal today.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Ft. Worth Orthodontist
Do you exhibit the symptoms of TMJ disorder? Then talk to your Ft. Worth orthodontist today. Dr. Cabal will diagnose the cause and severity of your TMD and recommend the most appropriate treatment. Call Lake Country Orthodontics today at (817) 236-7846 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Ciro Cabal. Located in the 76179 area, we proudly welcomes families from Azle, Saginaw, Springtown, Weatherford, Haslet, Ft. Worth, and all surrounding communities.